Python is a high-level programming language that makes it easy to learn how to write code. It is also one of the top ten programming languages. Learning the basics of creating code becomes easier with Python for kids and all beginners alike, since most Python commands are plain English words. Beginners don’t need to juggle binary representations to learn how to program in Python. There are several tools for writing code with a simple and straightforward interface. They encourage kids to try their hand at programming, thereby satisfying their need to learn Python. You can teach children the Python language without forcing them to do tedious tasks of pre-reading mountains of specialized literature. Python is considered a modern programming language and is used to develop countless software products. Children can use it to create their own applications from simply outputting “Hello World!” to developing animations and games. Programming in Python develops a child’s interest in learning this field.
What is Python?
Python is one of the most popular programming languages of recent times. Like any other programming language, Python helps us describe various computer commands to get the desired result. Python’s syntax makes it easy for beginners to write almost any set of instructions. For example, if you want to display “Hello!” on a computer screen, the Python command needed to do so would look like this:
This simple command set and syntax make it easy for children to learn Python. High readability is one of the features of the language that has led to its enormous popularity among programmers. In addition, even children can easily demonstrate important object-oriented programming concepts with Python. Listed below are other useful features of Python.
- Built-in data structures.
- Encourages code reuse.
- Extensive standard library.
- Ultra-fast edit-test-debug cycle.
Python emphasizes a simple approach to programming that can be interpreted and understood without learning complex syntax. In addition, as mentioned above, the language supports code reuse and splitting code into modules/packages. All these features make it quite an effective programming language.
Why should kids learn Python?
Since this language is known for its ease of understanding, programming in Python for kids can instill in them a passion for writing code without overwhelming them. In the digital age, nothing can trump the importance of programming skills. Therefore, among other languages like Java, C#, etc., it is the most suitable option for a child to learn the basics of writing code. Reasons why children should learn Python:
- Python is one of the most flexible programming languages. It has an easy-to-read command set and syntax that is much less complex than other programming languages. These commands are ordinary English words, which makes learning Python more accessible to children.
- Kids don’t need to read a lot of textbooks to start writing code in Python. Learning Python for children is doable, even if they have no prior knowledge of programming.
- Python has an extensive standard library that can be imported as needed. Children can implement many of their ideas when creating applications in Python by simply adding the right libraries. This approach increases the accessibility of Python. Children can write any program code in Python in fewer steps than if they had to write in Java or C.
- Python is a very child-friendly programming language. They can experiment with different pieces of code and gradually assemble more meaningful programs from them to create their own video games and animations.
- It is quite obvious that the Python programming language will stay with us for a long time. Therefore, it is quite important for children to learn Python because of its wide range of applications. Knowledge of Python will also give them an advantage when pursuing higher education in data science, automation, machine learning, and web development.
- Despite various improvements, the basic structure of the Python language remains the same. Therefore, learning Python programming for kids is a big plus, as their skills will definitely not become obsolete in the future.
- Learning Python will also increase children’s critical thinking ability. Yes, consistent reasoning is the key to understanding basic programming concepts. Therefore, writing code in Python for various applications will allow children to visualize and eventually comprehend complex abstract programming concepts. This, in turn, will also improve their ability to analyze and solve mathematical problems.
What is the best way for children to learn Python?
Mastering Python programming will be more achievable for kids if they follow good video tutorials geared toward them. There are several such courses available online that teach kids Python. They can also learn the basics of Python programming by referring to some good books. For example, from such books, kids can learn about variables in Python and how changing a variable affects program output.
The most important thing to keep in mind when writing code in Python is syntax. There are various code creation tools that allow children to learn the basic concepts of Python programming. To learn syntax, they can practice creating small snippets of code in such tools. Often children refuse to learn programming languages because of complex syntactic structures. However, with Python and its fairly simple syntax, this problem disappears. It is very important to keep children interested in learning programming so that they can develop a good conceptual base. This requires breaking down all the information on a particular topic into chunks and encouraging young students to solve Python exercises on their own. This, in turn, makes learning Python programming for children more accessible without causing them to lose interest. The more they solve the exercises, the better they will be able to understand the basic concepts and applications of various basic programming elements such as variable initialization, conditional statements, loops, functions, etc.
- Python – practical problems
- Fundamentals of Python programming in examples and tasks
- The book “1400 Python Programming Tasks.”
Setup can be very time consuming for some programming environments. This is not the case with Python. It takes only three steps to install in Windows. Children can install Python on their computers by downloading the program from the official website. Parents should probably help them when choosing a version that is compatible with the operating system they are using. Once the installation is complete, your child can immediately begin the exciting process of creating code from scratch. The best way for children to learn Python is to write small pieces of code and then run them in a terminal or text editor.
Some of the best Python books for kids
Once your child has developed an interest in programming, it’s time to broaden their horizons with themed books. Listed below are some of the best tutorials for kids.
The aforementioned books are very useful for teaching children the basics of programming. The book “Python for Kids. A Self-Study Guide to Programming” is written in a fun way that will help keep young students interested in learning this programming language. It presents the material in a very easy-to-understand manner that encourages the child to delve deeper into Python concepts. The book “Python for Kids and Parents. Play and Program” also has a very interesting approach. The topics covered in it are appropriate for children and parents to learn the language.
What can kids do with Python?
To start with, they can display simple messages like “Hello World!” or “Good Morning!” using Python at an elementary level. They can also perform and output simple math calculations using the
The print function in Python can be used to print not only individual words but also messages or variable values. To do this, children will first have to learn how to initialize variables. For example:
>>> print("Good Morning!")
>>> print(12 + 10 - 2)
>>> print("Strawberry andnMalina")
>>> x = 2
In addition to the basic print function, children can write programs for a variety of fun interactive games. There are many online Python programming tutorials for school children where they can learn how to write code for video games. A child can also use Python to create animations. However, to create more complex projects, he or she will have to learn a little more about loops and conditional statements. Kids can also try their hand at various open-source tools if they want to take programming to the next level. From name output, message output, and arithmetic calculations to creating fun video games and other useful programs. Python allows kids to explore and create, bringing their thoughts and ideas to life.
Resources for Kids
While there are several websites that discuss concepts in detail, none of them are designed for children. Such an abundance of knowledge can seem extremely overwhelming to them. That's why several individualized programs have been created to teach children how to write code. These courses are designed to make it very easy for any child to enter the world of programming. So if you want to teach your children the Python language, we recommend choosing specialized courses.